As someone who purchases vehicles for your organization, you know your public transportation vehicles must support wheelchairs and scooters to ensure ADA Compliance. You also need a solution that is affordable both initially and over the life of the vehicle.
But where do you start and how do you choose the best solution? Specific requirements can feel overwhelming, especially if understanding the nuances isn’t part of your wheelhouse. If you’re looking into becoming ADA compliant to fit your business needs, then you need a commercial vehicle you can trust to meet requirements and keep your passengers safe.
This step-by-step checklist will help walk you through the options you have to choose from and get you prepared for the decisions you’ll have to make when working with Nor Cal Vans.
Step 1 – Pick Your Van
We offer wheelchair accessibility on low, medium and high roof top Ford Transit and Transit Connect vehicles, both new and used. We have a variety of floor plan options to choose from which you can view by clicking on our Paratransit Floor Plan Guide.
We can also customize a floor plan to meet your needs.
Step 2 – Choose Your Lift / Access
Options to consider:
- Side and Rear Entry Wheelchair Lifts (800-1,000 pound capacity).
- Add a Shift-N-Step to your side lift that shifts your lift to the side to allow your passengers to load easily through the side.
- Add Curbside Access as an additional loading option! We remove the front passenger seat and make it an entry way
- Give your van some style with our Bus Door option! We can match your van color on the door
3 – Choose Your Options
From the specific tie-downs, to your preferred seat style and so much more, you can customize your van to meet the needs of your passengers, your budget, and your organization’s overall needs.
- Custom Transit Flooring in Black, Grey or Manor Oak
- Spiced Bamboo Altro Flooring
- Abilitrax Flooring
- Freedman Foldaway
- Ford OEM
- Freedman Flip
- Freedman Trieste
- Abilitrax Seats
- Grab Bars
- Grab Rail B-Pillar
- Grab Rail C-Pillar
- Curb Side Entry
- Shift-N-Step Rails
- Grab Rail Mounted to Ricon Lift
- Grab Rail B-Pillar with RH Powder Coating
- Tie-Down Options
- QRT Max – full automatic, knobless retractor
- QRT 360 - heavy duty built-in
- M Series – Manual
- Slide N’ Click – Easy attach rotating anchorage
- QER Electric Retractor
- Other Options
- A/C & Heating – add rear A/C or heating your van
- Running boards – options include short or long running boards with grip steps
- Storage Racks – great for storing wheelchairs. Hooks on top of rack for purses, groceries, or backpacks
- Luggage Partitions – great for separating luggage, ice chests or tools from passenger sight
- Tinting – great option for privacy or to simply stay cool
- Emergency Egress
- Retractable steps
- PA System
- Back Up Alarms
- Additional Mirrors
- Surveillance Cameras
- Safety Kits
- Custom Lighting
It’s one thing to meet requirements, but it’s another to offer your customer a truly exceptional experience. Nor Cal Vans designs and builds transportation solutions that change people’s lives. We serve a broad range of industries with our innovative new and used van conversion options including government, education, airport/group transportation, non-emergency medical, secure transport, and refrigeration. We’ve been solving transportation needs for nearly four decades and strive to hold true to our values of teamwork, trust, accountability, growth and a positive attitude.